Sunday, August 4, 2013

Kathy P's "All Purpose" Brown Rice Flour Mix

I've learned that there really is no "all purpose" flour mix when it comes to gluten free baking.  For a lot of my recipes, I just measure out individual flours and starches.  That way each application can be customized with the flours and starches that work best.  Bread doesn't work with the same combination as cookies.

I do have a couple blends that I keep on hand.  One is a light blend of equal parts rice and 2 parts  starches.  I usually use potato and cornstarch these days, but when we were avoiding corn, I used potato and tapioca.  I don't use this mix a lot anymore, and if I do, I'm adding it to another heavy flour like sorghum.

One blend that I've been using for a long time that does work in a lot of places is this brown rice flour blend.  I came across it on a celiac newsgroup way back when.  I don't even remember what newsgroup.  I had to modify the blend to remove the cornstarch and all I have anymore is my handwritten recipe card. This blend works well in cookies and muffins.  It's not as gritty as most other rice flour blends.  It seems complicated since it uses a lot of different flours and starches, but they all do play well together and give a nice texture.  This blend is the basis for my Yankee Doodle Biscuits and GF Soda Crackers.  It's my go to blend for most cookies too, especially shortbread type cookies.  This blend already has xanthan gum in it, so usually you can omit any called for in recipes.  You will definitely be seeing more recipes using it.

Kathy P's Brown Rice Flour Mix (116 g/cup)

This makes about 4 1/4 cups, but I usually scale it up and make a quadruple batch.

1 cup (120g)        brown rice flour
1 1/2 cup (180g)  white rice flour
1/4 cup (36g)       potato starch
2/3 cup (70g)       tapioca starch
3/4 cup ( 81g)      sweet rice flour (Mochiko)
1/3 cup (36g)       arrowroot starch
2 tsp                     xanthan gum

Mix together thoroughly and store in an airtight container.  Give it a stir before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment